Thursday 4 August 2022

BHL survives rough sleeper & record year now for Garden Hummers!

On a really hot Sunday 30th July a trip to the local wood, I counted 28 Broad- leaved Helleborines, with 5 in the "meadow area" lying right next door to the BHL I had put sticks round was a rough sleeper, the sticks had probabbly saved it from being squashed. Not to be deterred, I set up my camera gear and started taking pics. He woke up, took one look at me and slowly got up wandering away and giving me a nasty stare, given all the equipment I had with me, I decided it was probably best to leave, so my photography was curtailed somewahat, sadly. Sadly, I found what looked like a sprig of Japanese Knotweed (a very damaging alien invasive species) was found by a caged area. I will e-mail those responsible for managing the wood, in order firstly save the Helleborines from being strimmed and secondly warning them of taking out and burning the Japanese Knotweed. Also in the garden on Sunday 30th July, a Hummingbird Hawk Moth was feeding on our Buddlea from 6.47-6.55pm and then there were 2 Hummingbird hawk Moths on the Buddlea 7.58- 8.04pm now making it the nest ever year for sightings of Hummers in the garden!

No comments: