Wednesday 12 January 2022

Blythburgh estuary Glaucous Gull

On Wednesday 12 January, on such a bright sunny day there was a chance to quickly go for the Hen reedbeds Glaucous Gull, when I left at 2.30pm. calling in at home briefly to retrieve my bins and scope (no time or light for the camera!) I drove straight down there and despite being stuck behind a tractor from Kessingland to Blythburgh, I was parking up at 3.15pm and running down to the Hexagonal Hide, I was dismayed to see a mass exodus of Gulls flying north. Carrying on, I scanned the estuary in the channel directly to the south of the Hide. I saw several waders, c30 Dunlins, an Avocet, Grey Plover, Teal, Wigeon and finally I picked up the excellent 2nd winter Glaucous Gull, typically a hefty brute of a bird, which was swimming in the water amongst other Gulls, it had pale biscuit plumage and pure white wing tips and a two tone pink/ black bill. I admired this bird for some 10 minutes, before it flew up with other Gulls and flew east, perhaps to Southwold Harbour? Walking back, a calling Water Pipit flew onto the marsh by the hexagonal hide at 3.55pm. An Avocet was seen down the channel as I walked back. Ending a great quick trip out after work, Hen reedbeds is a happy stomping ground for me and nice to meet Trevor, a former Frampton Marsh regular who has moved into the area.

No comments: