Sunday 9 January 2022

Big day on the 9th!

On Sunday 9th January, after a very frustrating rain filled day all of Saturday, meant an early start, driving past Pakefield Holiday camp, a Roe Deer in the field just south of the old rubbish dump was an unusual sighting. At Sotterley Park, not usually a happy stamping ground for me, it stared well with a distant sighting of a Red Kite flying north, a good start. I soon bumped into Jane & Paul F, Morris and Tim O. at the Dell, Paul had a brief view of one and as I was watching a fine calling Nuthatch (1 of 3 about) from a tree by the Cottage (west of the Dell) I spotted an excellent Hawfinch flying west along the tree tops but it disappeared and we couldn't refind it. Walking over, we looked back and saw a fine Mistle Thrush fly up to the top of a tree. Whilst walking across the field. We saw a distant Hawfinch perched on top of a tall tree by the wood bordering the lake but as I got the scope onto it flew! Walking over to the Lake area, a Stock Dove flew north but no further sign of the H'finches but 3 groups of around 20 Redwings flew out of the wood. Plus around 8 Redwing seen perched high up in a tree to the far east. back at the Dell, Tim O. spotted the Hawfinch on top a tree as soon as I scoped it, again it flew left and I followed it in the bins, nicely marked a fine male Hawfinch which again we soon lost from view. At least I had seen the Hawfinches, first time in 5 years at this site, but they weren't at all obliging. I headed down to Lymballs Lane, by Westleton and soon picjed out 8 excellent Whooper Swans, 5 adults and 3 immatures, they spend most of their time feeding fairly close to the road, which was great but I stayed in the car and managed a few shots at a good range for me and pleased with the results too. Whats App gave news of a Glossy Ibis at Oulton Marshes, so I drove there and walked down meeting Andrew E and the Fergusons who had had good views of the Ibis, as I was approaching the railway line, a massive Lowestoft bogey bird for me finally fell, because I spotted 3 excellent Cranes flying south west towards me and right over my head, amazing! I managed to get a few shots too, but they were too close to get all 3 in shot! Mark was further down the track and I called to him so he got onto them too. They continued to fly in a south west direction. I was about to tweet it out, but Paul & Sara had just beaten me to it. I am also pleased that they can be added as an addition to my birds found list too! Walking down the end, I had a quick chat with Mark, before I reached the river wall and walked right for 800 yards eventually reaching Paul & Sara, we were also joined by Tony B. The bird was in the field between the railway line and the river but the second field west, where I saw it, the fine Glossy Ibis, an adult in winter plumaged with white flecked head and glossy on the plumage, it was seen in the middle of the field as I was walking down it flew to the far side and briefly disappeared in a ditch before Paul picked it up again, over the far side. Something caused it and the other birds to fly it flew left and then circled round and flew back and settled in the middle of the field, near a BH Gull where I managed a few pics. West of us, a flock of 200+ Pink- footed Geese flew east and then back again west. The Shore Lark was seen again at Kessingland North beach, I am very grateful to Paul & Jane F who stayed there and I walked about 3/4 mile north from heathland steps, in an area 150 metres north of Pakefield Lighthouse and saw the fine Shore Lark on the beach in the company of 2 Sanderling that showed well in front of us. As we walked south, 17 Sanderling seen by the edge of a shore pool, and a fine flock of 32 Snow Buntings flew in, initially we only saw 2 birds but more were rapidly seen adding to a wonderful tally. We walked over to the marshy pool, initially we only saw male Chaffinch and Blackbird but as I walked along the eastern side 3/4 of the way along, a fine Jack Snipe flew up from my feet and flew to the northern edge of the pool. All in all, a great day!

No comments: