Saturday 26 June 2021

Collared Pratincole at Carlton Marshes

On day, June, for a change I went to Southwold and it was really nice to see Brian S and catch up with him a pleasant walk around the marshes revealed a couple of Sedge Warblers and a Yellowhammer. I should have looked around the Town marshes too as Brian S (bird magnet no.1) had a Collared Pratincole fly through. It was then incredibly picked up by bird magnets 2 & 3 Andrew ACE E and Carl B. They put the news out and it was yet another hobble down to the far western end of Peto's Marsh. I was joined by Steve and we walked down pausing only to see a male Scarce Chaser on the way down and a couple of Wall browns in the usual spot on the river walk past Peto's. Joining a small throng of birders including Carl B, Ali R, Andrew E, Phil D, Julie etc. and the "person" who had been so nasty and vindictive to me on social media at Kessingland recently spreading slanderous lies on my supposed actions (impossible with my current affliction) that person, seeing I was amongst friends, soon left. He even asked me where the Wall browns and I told him (I didn't realise it was him at the time because I probably wouldn't divulged any information to him whatsover). Back to the birds, the fantastic Collared Pratincole quickly flew up from around the middle of the scrape showing the chestnut secondaries and I got a glimpse of part of the white trailing edge. It flew around again then settling in the same area behind and island and just out of sight. At one point during one of its sorties it flew almost overhead and again part of the white secondaries seen. Through the gate a male Scarce Chaser seen. On another fly around the Collared Pratincole. I am very proud of the fact this is my second Collared Pratincole having discovered one on the drive up to Rackham's corner along the A1117 at Blundeston but also extremely sad that 2 dear friends the late Ricky F and the late Ian S, had seen this bird fly over their respective gardens a few days earlier, they are both very sadly missed. An honourable mention must be made of Andrew E and Rob Wil who had almost certainly heard this bird call in fields to the west of Corton NSW, so it is fitting that Andrew jointly found the second of Lowestoft and I proudly welcome Andrew and Carl to the Lowestoft Collared Pratincole finders club! Finally for me the Collared Pratincole had a big fly around the marsh and then flew north and disappeared over the bund only for it to eventually come back, which I saw when I finally left. I decided to walk to the sluice and saw some Damselflies and a Banded Demoiselle.

No comments: