Saturday 26 June 2021

A splash of Mediterranean colour behind Gapton Hall retail park

Sound a bit illegal and dodgy the title of this post but on Monday 21 June, incredibly Steve S had found an incredibly group of 9 Bee-eaters behind the Gapton Hall retail park, news broke late morning (This was flowing a report the previous Thursday of 2 near MacDonalds accompanied by a good pic of 2 birds sitting on power lines confirming this report) Obviously I had to go and a quickly covened lunchbreak, it was 12.30pm. I 'scooted' over and parked by TK Max and then took the rough road heading north turning left and left again past Docwra's. I joined a long 'throng' of birders scoping the birds in the distance in a bush roughly half way between us and Humblestone farm along Breydon south wall. Only problem was I had no optics with me whatsover, however I am indebted to the kind actions of good friends Carl B and Tony S who allowed me prolonged views of the birds, 9 fantastic Bee-eaters first in that bush and when they flew closer and settled on power lines and it was lovely to hear their chortling calls and view their outrageously colourful plumage, a real pick me up for those fortunate to see them. A real riot of colour with yellow, brown, turquoise, green all put into the mix to provide a real vision of pleasure! Also really good to see John H, Tommy, Peter A & Dick F. I didn't need optics however when they (the Bee-eaters not the esteemed company previously mentioned!) flew directly over us and towards the southern end of Gapton Hall retail disappeareing around where MacDoanlds is, sadly my time had elapsed and I had to get back from work, I joined Carl B but couldn't keep up with him as I was hobbling abit by this stage.

No comments: