Wednesday 18 September 2019

The Pec, Bush Crickets and Fish Hawk

On Saturday 14th September, I drove to Minsmere and taking the path behind the Scrape passing both the West and South hides, I then looked over the Konik field and saw the fine Pectoral Sandpiper feeding at the back showed a fine chestnut brown colouration on the primary, it showed a clear demarcated breast band which gives the bird its name and it also showed distinctive straw coloured legs. It was in the area behind the water often concealed by vegetation. I saw Dave J and Pauline M here and good to see Carl B too. Later Lenny T arrived & we both walked around to the beach area, just south of the public hide, where in an area where some gorse met brambles, we saw Eddie M and someone else intently watching something. Amazingly, there were 2 Great Green Bush Crickets, one leapt/ flew off but the other stayed and I was able to get a few pictures of this fine Bush Cricket, my first in the UK and obviously a first for Suffolk. From the East hide, Lenny and I saw a Little Stint by the left hand end of a far island. Finally by the first lot of Tank traps, 2 Dartford Warblers, male and female briefly perched on one of the concrete blocks before flying into a nearby bush. Next stop was the Hen reedbeds, walking out to the John Minihane hide (I am privileged to state that I knew John when he was Summer Warden at Benacre Broad for several years in the 1980's and spent several hours chatting to him over those years) I saw around 4 Bearded Tits fly in plus the excellent Osprey finally seen on a post by the edge of the estuary. Elsewhere, a late Comma butterfly seen and 3 Grass Snakes seen.

No comments: