Thursday 12 September 2019

Hen reedbeds, Suffolks' best birder & Gunton

On Wednesday 11th September, a drive to Hen Reedbeds I walked along the path to the first hide (I met Brian S, who had seen the Osprey and kindly said it was at Bulwer's Camp farm and although a very long way off the sun glinting on the fish could be seen. Sadly, he was off before he could show me exactly where. Unfortunately, this has happened many times before (telling me about birds/ wildlife, which for the record, I completely believe- he is Suffolk's best birder- but he never shows me exactly where they are (some of us are not so gifted and sometimes need help in locating wildlife!) and I subsequently never see them (Pallid Swift at Sizewell honourably excepted)! examples include i.e.. Woodcock Orchid/ Spur Winged Plover- Pathos Headland Cyprus etc) same thing happened here, I scanned both sides but try as I might, I could see neither the Osprey or a gleaming fish. The sun was low on the horizon and would have hampered viewing where I needed to look. A Greenshank seen here and over at Blythburgh estuary a Whimbrel and 3 Common Sandpiper (2 buy the muddy shore and 1 flew down the river and east). Elsewhere, compensation came in an incredible tally of 5 Grass Snakes seen, 1 seen by a log pile house (take note Gruffalo author Julia Donaldson!) 3 under 1 bit of corrugated iron and 1 under another. A Whats App message from James W on a possible YW Darter, had me driving back to Gunton Woodland Burial and I saw Nicholas and James W walking back as the light was starting to fade and James kindly showed me an the Odonato which I could clearly see was an immature female Red- veined Darter perched on the edge of the middle of the cornflower strip.

No comments: