Monday 26 February 2018

Fifth time lucky for RBM photos

At 7.30am I had driven down to Oulton Broad Boulevard parking by the free space by the shops. I walked over to the Boulevard specifically the south- east corner not expecting the RBM to be there but it was and it saw me and swam right out to the middle of Oulton Broad, a stupid basic error from me. It spent twenty minutes here and even went to sleep and I though I would be heavily punished. However, as the sun finally came out poking through the clouds, the excellent male Red- breasted Merganser swam strongly back and made for the yacht basin part of the Boulevard. I waited until the bird had dived and then I ran into position. Often guessing correctly where it would resurface I managed to obtain the shots I wanted and I even saw the bird catch a Ruffe fish which it wrestled with in its bill the serrated edge of the mandible proving very useful in gripping the fish and it eventually swallowed it. It sstarted to swim out so I walked carefully down the wooden jetty and then it hung around here for a while sometimes disappearing from sight before re-appearing. I left it still in this area and even saw the bird from the car as I crossed the Mutford Lock bridge on the way to work.

No comments: