Saturday 24 February 2018

Slow start but Covehithe saves the day

First up I checked the fields around Beccles, I saw 2 Hares but no Grey P's or Little Owl. 2 v.elusive Hawfinch at Wrentham old cemetery, a female seen feeding in a bare bush and a male flew over was all I saw of the birds. Robin, Blackbird and Goldfinch also seen. At Covehithe, as I was walking down, literally 10 yards past the start gate a flock of 20 Redpoll were calling and flew onto the tree by me, I immediately picked up a Mealy Redpoll and another possible one, the flock had been disturbed by dog walkers and I had just 2 minutes to look at them before the same dog walkers came down the path and flushed them a second time, disappointingly. The birds appeared to fly north by I couldn't refund hem despite extensive searching. Down at the Broad, there were 3 Ringed Plovers by the beach edge of the Broad, I sat down and 2 ran up and down the edge and approached me as I sat down, they were later joined by the third bird. This third bird which seemed separate to the pair was even more confiding. I spent a charming hour in the company of these birds as they fed by the shore line, running several metres then stopping. They also ran up the sandy bank just behind me and the female settled down in a hollow (around 10 metres away and started what look like the first stages of preparing a 'nest depression', I made sure I didn't move to cause any disturbance. I also spied 3 Goldeneye (2 males and a female) were seen on Covehithe Broad too. I left the birds- the Ringed Plovers- still feeding by the shoreline and deliberately walked back along the seashore as dog walkers were approaching I didn't want the RP's disturbed by them. 12 Bewick's Swans were seen in the field west along Minsmere rd, Westleton. (just south of Dunwich five ways). The Glossy Ibis was walking around the less flooded field at Eastbridge too.

No comments: