Thursday 28 January 2016

Memories of "Ginge"

I was very saddened to hear of the death today of Bill F, affectionately known as "Ginge" (because of his former very fine head of red hair) from Great Yarmouth. He was a real Great Yarmouth character, a gentleman who I have known for close on 30 years. He was regularly seen around various Yarmouth haunts, particularly Breydon, Great Yarmouth Cemetery, Yarmouth seafront and around Winterton. He was an allrounder, perhaps better regarded for his great all round natural history knowledge, particularly insects and plants. He was well liked and he always liked to have a chat with you when you were fortunate enough to bump into him. I remember once he told me about a Red- backed Shrike, near Great Yarmouth Power station and I was pleasantly surprised to see the bird exactly where he described it. I also particularly enjoyed our chats at the Great Yarmouth Naturalists' Society, when I was lucky enough to be invited to give talks to, over the years. Yarmouth natural history has lost another of its great characters, R.I.P. "Ginge".

No comments: