Sunday 18 January 2015

Blizzards puts paid to Norfolk birding

On Saturday 17th January, my plan was to target Tundra Bean, Cranes & wild swans, Cranes and wild Swans again and RLB in East Norfolk. Driving just past Hemsby, the field where the Geese had been seen all week was deserted. At Horsey a flock of around 800 Pink- footed Geese were flushed by shooters and I had only been able to check half their number. Best bird of the morning was a fine Water Rail that scampered across the road from east to west by Horsey Mill. By now it was snowing heavily and the now was starting to lay making the road very treacherous so I just managed to get to Brograve Farm to check for Cranes, none there. I then drove to Acle, no sign of Cranes by the usual barn. I then drove to the Halvergate road, as I parked up a Snow blizzard started and viewing conditions and visibility were dramatically reduced causing me to miss both the RLB and the Bewick's.

No comments: