Saturday 1 March 2014

Trio of Med Gulls

After the rain had stopped I drove down to Links Road car park today, Saturday 1st March, there was a distinct nip in the air. Amongst a large group of Gulls (mostly BH but also Herring Gulls and a Common Gull) were 3 Mediterranean Gulls. The most obvious was a black hooded adult which sat on the ground. It was in sufficiently advanced summer plumage with white eye half crescents bordering the eye. Whilst I also saw 2 standing 2nd winter (but starting the transition to summer plumage) These birds were quite jittery and I managed a few shots from the mobile hide that is my car, until 2 girls jumped around and spooked all the birds. Nearby at Warren House Wood I bumped into Paul & Jane F and together we heard and then saw a vociferous Chiff- Chaff fly into the wood. Despite checking the wood thoroughly and the Holm Oak copse just 50 yards north of here I was unable to find anything else.

No comments: