Friday 12 April 2013

No Eagle at Benacre

Following a report of the Eagle going to roost in the woods the evening before. The omens weather wise weren't looking too promising with light specking rain. Having not seen this majestic raptor for some 13 years, I was very keen to see another. I drove to Covehithe raptor watchpoint early on Thursday 11th April morning (6am) and passing the woods, I saw a Barn Owl fly off a post and east through the woods. In the field were 5 Hares and looking over the field and the end of the Pine trees, I saw up to 3 male Marsh Harriers flying around. I then saw a dark 4 X 4 vehicle draw up and a young (30's) amiable chap disembarked, (like a tall Dave F) and he said that he'd drive through the woods and he might put the Eagle up. A quarter of an hour later, he came back and said he had seen it, he'd seen the Eagle and promptly drove off not stating exactly where he'd seen it, very frustrating! I decided to walk down the track running north and east alongside the woods, I looked east and still couldn't see it. The chap in the 4X4 drew up alongside again and I was finally able to question him further. He said he'd seen the WT Eagle doing low passes through the woods and best to view looking across from the gate. Again, I didn't see anything. I left at 8.15am for work. I didn't see the Eagle, despite extensive searching and the conclusion arrived at later was that he'd given me an erroneous report and the bird he saw was probably a Buzzard. If that is the case, I really can't understand how people can mistake a veritable giant of a bird like a WT Eagle for a smaller bird of prey like a Buzzard.

No comments: