Friday 5 April 2013

Gizza Job!!

Apologies for the lack of updates recently, but in the words of the estimable Yosser Hughes from the seminal 1980's BBC TV series "Boys from the Blackstuff" I have been channelling all my energies into applying for a new Library Manager job at the local Hospital in which I am glad to say I was ultimately successful!! Birding took an uncharacteristic second place over the Easter holidays, with several trips to my current work place (ie. Gorleston Library) on both Thursday (on A/L) and Easter Saturday to use the computer facilities there as I had to devise a Powerpoint presentation plus do the extensive research for my then impending interview. On Saturday 30th March, the fine Hooded Crow was seen in Hamilton Dock in the morning on the SLP island, I had initially sighted an optic free Richard S and we had both to see the bird initially, but after Richard left the bird flew up to a distant white crane and was obvious as a pure Hooded Crow through the scope. 2 Little Grebe were seen in the dock too. On Sunday 31 March, travelling to Great Yarmouth along the A12, I sighted a hybrid Hoodie feeding in a field just west of the A12 about 500 yards before the Beacon Park roundabout. At Bure Park in the morning a pair of shy and elusive Garganey on the water donutting the island in the middle of the park, were initially quite flighty but I grabbed glimpses of them on the water on several occasions until a well respected & liked Port Authority employee turned up in a high vis jacket after work and spooked the birds on a couple of occasions!!! 5 sightings of definite 3+ Woodcock between 6.30- 6.40pm at Fallowfields this evening, 1 Woodcock also seen at Bure Park am, Yar fl over pr Garganey On 1st April, no april fool but Little Owl in usual tree at Lound back of the field opposite and north of causweay also 30 Fieldfare by the approach road in field west of road, 2 Mistle Thrush opn the green east of the islands, no sign of Goosander late pm plus Woodcock seen in flight at Fallowfields early evening. On Thursday 4th April at 5.45pm following my interview at the JPUH and after work, I headed to Bure Park, Great Yarmouth where an excellent Long- eared Owl had been sighted on the island at Bure Park. When I sighted my good friend and colleague Peter C & his partner viewing the LEO. It was partially obscured but sitting out in the open half way up a bush and showed well. Meanwhile the pair of Garganey flew in the male resplendent in its fine plumage and the female showing more subtle shades of brown and dark colours. On Friday 5th April, Rob Wil had brilliantly found a LEO sitting 3/4 up a smallish Pine in the corner plot of trees at the far north end of Corton road, just south of the car park. Parking up at 5.50pm, I was pleased to note that ace LEO spotter and regular correspondent Paul W drew up behind me and together we walked south to the spot, looking into the copse we were initially unsuccessful but following a call to Rob, we were well directed to a a small Pine and going up the trunk and following a left fork of the tree and another brilliant spot by Paul W, I could make out the shape of the Long- eared Owl sat deep in the copse 3/4 up the tree, but it was initially hard to see.

No comments: