Saturday 9 March 2013

Return to Winter: Waxwings in Central Lowestoft

It was raining all day today and I when I ventured out mid afternoon, I drove past Hoseasons along Raglan street and saw 48 Waxwings all bunched up on the wires near the post (there were lines of 10, 10, 12 and 16 on 4 separate wires) all huddled up as close to the telegraph pole post as they could possibly be in the very cold driving rain. They were "trilling" constantly, a marvellous sound with so many there and always a an absolute joy to hear. One or two flew down presumably to a berry bush, I didn't investigate, as there was driving rain and I spent most of my time watching them from the sanctity of the car parked in a layby situated rather conveniently directly opposite the birds. Then suddenly they were gone! My cue to go. These Waxwings are my first in central Lowestoft this winter and maybe my first in central Lowestoft ever, I have always missed them on their previous visits here. Looking across Lake Lothing at Asda, the Peregrine Falcon, a big bird, a female was sat right at the top of the grain silo, I had a quick look due to the driving rain/ sleet. It was nice to hear when I was in Hughes TV & Audio later (asking for their advice on how to get the precious video tape repaired) outlet in Lowestoft High street this afternoon of a regular reader of this blog! By the time I was driving back home, the rain/ sleet had turned to snow and soon a carpet of some 2 inches of snow had covered the ground by late afternoon.

No comments: