Friday 22 March 2013

Goodies at Kessingland Sewage Works

No that's not the much loved comedy trio Bill Oddie, Graeme Garden & Tim Brooke Taylor, although I'd certainly twitch them if they were sighted there! I meant a variety of avian treats that I'm sure Bill Oddie at least would have appreciated. On Sunday 17th March, I walked down to the sewage works mid morning and immediately saw on the North-west bed, a female Grey Wagtail, a great start and new bird for the year. She was perched on the circular circumference edge of the bed. Turning my attention to the north- east bed, I noted a number of Pied wagtails probably on all of the pans around 20 in total and then a super male White Wagtail, I noted a further 2 at least making 3 superb White Wagtails, their black crown differing markedly to their light grey backs and creating quite a clear contrast. Also feeding on the beds were 6 Reed Buntings including 4 smart males and 2 females. Meanwhile by the perimeter fence that I was peering through barely a metre away, a Chiff- Chaff, another new bird for the year, flitted around the vegetation and later on crossed the track and gave a brief rendition of its Chiff- Chaff call. I then drove to Links road and the North Beach and had to depart suddenly as I was feeling distinctly unwell. I was then bedridden several days afterwards.

No comments: