Monday 2 July 2012

Minsmere Phalarope

A Minsmere Phalarope had me heading down this evening 5.30pm onwards, to the reserve driven by OFB. We walked down to the South Hide meeting lee Evans en route and when we entered the hide we were pleased to see Paul & Jane there. From the right hand end, we spotted the Phalarope, a moulting male Red- necked Phalarope in good plumage still. it was the far end of the scrape, swimming around pecking invertebrates off the water. meanwhile, a Spotted Redshank in fine full summer plumage walked around the finger, walked rapidly as I turned my camera towards it. Another fine dusky Spotted Redshank was at the back too. The Phalarope then fed in front of a black- hooded immature Little Gull perched on an island behind it.

2 comments:

Paul Woolnough said...

Too far from by Norwich Airport starting at 530.

Checked my notes and a red-necked phalarope at Southwold in 2000 the only Suffolk record(?) Compared to 24 in Norfolk!

Peter Ransome said...

Paul,
there have been several in Suffolk. I've now seen at least 2 at Minsmere (first in the 80's got drenched when I drove there in pouring rain on the motorbike!) and I've seen the Southwold bird too.