Friday 20 July 2012

Early and Late

A before work walk along the Lowestoft North beach revealed around 30 Common Terns, one bird was in full winter plumage with black bill and black shoulder smudge. On the Oval, the adult Yellow- legged Gull sat asleep on the middle of the Oval. It then woke up and looked around. It flew off when a groundsman walked over to the middle. As I drove past a very flooded Corton playing fields, I noticed around 30 BH Gulls and noted I would check it out on the way home. After work, I decided to visit Winterton and finally see some Little terns for 2012. At the Little tern colony, one bird briefly seen by a pool of water outside the fenced area. Apparently, they are having a really good year with 200 birds raising around 240 young! I must have seen around 100 Little Terns and 3 baby chicks too. Walking along the dunes the RSPB have roped off about 3/4 mile of beach for the birds. Nothing seen at the Toad pools save for 1 or 2 tadpoles in one, which must be young Natterjacks. Walking back with darkening skies and light rain I noticed a dark Green fritillary perched on a sprig of heather and I managed to get one or two shots. Driving back, late evening 8.45pm, I called in at the Corton Playing fields which were flooded and scanning the gulls, I counted 8 Mediterranean Gulls, 4 adults, 2 2nd summers, 1 1st summer and 1 juvenile bird.

No comments: