Tuesday 22 May 2012

Temminck at Tinkers

Tuesday 22 May, I was relieved to hear the Temminck's were still at Southwold after I was unable to go on Sunday afternoon, owing to a headache. A visit to Tinkers Marsh at Southwold 6.30pm - 8.30pm, on this bright evening, I first saw 4 Swallows perched on boat ropes by the harbour. I met a chap walking across to the western most pools, on the way across who'd just seen all 3 birds. Problem was when I finally got there, I could only see one, an excellent Temminck's Stint on the near bank not far from the raised path, I had dropped down to the river bank side in able to sneak up to the bird by lying on the side of the path. and it was hiding mostly asleep behind some tufts of short grass by the waters edge. Initially it was asleep, but after a while it came out showed well feeding in particular around a small pool before walking left and right by the edge of the bank and mostly out of sight but occasionally popping up and shwing well in the good light. 3 Avocets flew and later 40 seen in flight on the way back. I was surprised to see a Short- eared Owl briefly hunting over the marsh before it disappeared to the west. Around 6 Common Sandpipers flying around and calling by the river. A male Wigeon seen on the near bank looked very lonely. I met Dick w as I was walking back, he was keen to see them and did indeed see all3. They'd certainly hidden up for me, as I had scanned several times, in between my photography of the one showy bird.

No comments: