Friday 25 May 2012

Distant Cuckoos

Wednesday 23rd of May, Jenny and I had a very pleasant evening visit to Carlton marshes, several Sedge and Reed Warblers were singing all mostly out of sight. At the southern end of Spratts water, a Cuckoo was heard calling another responded nearby. One was seen perched on the edge of the Bush in the marsh just west of here. walking back along the track bordering the western end of Spratt's Water, we saw the larvae of a Glow worm walk across the path (my first seen in lowestoft and first in the Uk for some time) from right to left. Sadly, I didn't have my macro lens with me. I had to move the Glow Worm (it could have been trampled) because of an approaching dog walker which then took on its defence position against predators and rolled over on its back and still. By the Shrike area, looking south, I saw the Cuckoo perched on a bush, it flew down to a grassy area, before flying south onto powerlines by the path where we had just been. Thursday 24th May, the Green Woodpecker was calling just outside the garden and Willow Warbler still singing from Fallowfields on both Thursday and Friday 25th May.

No comments: