Thursday 18 March 2021

Hobble over to Hen reedbeds

On Wednesday afternoon, 17th March 2020, I was desperate for a short exercise walk somewhere local which wasn't too hard on the feet, as I was still suffering with the sore heel. So I drove the short distance to Hen reedbeds and first looked under the bits of corrogated iron which revealed 1 and then 2 Field Voles sporting black beady eyes and a nice warm chestnut coloured coat, before they quickly scampered off. The first one had a bit of chewed up foliage as its nest reminding me of a Hamster's nest. Hobbling over to the river wall, at the first lookout there were around 30 Greylags close in but alas no Taiga Bean. By the second pool area near the hide, another 15 Greylags seen. Several Greylags c8,also seen flying over to the grassy meadoww just south of the river. Finally I saw around 30 on the distant rolling hill north of the footpath. On first scan I picked up a fine lone Pink- footed Goose feeding with them and then finally after several scans I finally picked out the excellent Taiga Bean Goose, a large but narrower bodied than the Greylags and distinct long angular head with with black and orange in the bill. It was keeping loose company with the smaller daintier yet plumper Pink- foot. It walked up the hill a bit to the back of the flock and even further away! Sadly way too far away for me to even attempt to photograph (usual Ransome luck!) A stop off at Wrentham old cemetary and as OFB rang me and I was on the phone either a Red ~Kite or Marsh Harrier only seen with the naked eye for a split second, it flew quickly west over the road (I suspect the former) in front of me but sadly I didn't pick it up again so that's a missed one. I met 2 familiar Carlton toggers (I don't know their names though) who had failed to photograph Bullfinch in the old cemetary, I saw little here too. No Hares in the usual field nearby. Still a good trip out though.

No comments: