Friday 19 March 2021

Goosefest at Covehithe & Hen reedbeds

On Friday 19th March, a disappointing trip to Covehithe Broad revealed the beach by the edge of the Broad has been fenced off and quite rightly so to protecting nesting shore birds. The Long- tailed Duck was along the middle of the southern edge of the Broad, so wouldn't have been photographable anyway. Plumage wise, it was now getting a little blotchy on its head, 2 female Goldeneye were seen too. Walking back, 38 close Greylag Geese, giving Ferguson views in fields close to the path (I managed a few pics). Then onto continue my exercise walk (away from the concreted areas of Lowestoft- bad on the sore heel!) at Hen Reedbeds, where an extremely enjoyable time was had here, although my left heel was hurting considerably after the visit. Kevin B had tweeted saying he had seen the Taiga Bean by the first platform (great I thought, not too far to walk, famous last words!), I had a quick look and could see nothing here other than Greylag Geese, a look at the pool by the hide revealed more Greylags and 3 Wigeon. I walked the same distance beyond the hide and saw 18 fine Russian White- fronted Geese on what must be Reydon Marshes, an area to the north of the riverwall path. They were on the further edge of a pool. A birder who had ploughed on ahead further still hadn't seen the Taiga, so we headed back. It was really good to see Barry B & his wife, last time I saw him was probably 4 years ago on my last successful twitch to Sotterley. he said another chap had seen the Taiga swim through. We could here other Geese (Greylags out of view in the reeds) and suddenly 4 birds got up, I though I had it for a moment as the orange and black and darker plumage seen for a split second but I looked again and wasn't sure. I continued talking to Barry & his wife and the birder had diligently gone to check out the pool by the hide (as I should have done) but no harm done as the birder beckoned me back and I was hobbling along on a very sore left foot but got there and saw the magnificent Taiga Bean Goose on the island at the back. Originally it was back on and then preening itself before ealking left and then swimming in the water then joining a few Greylags and Canadas along the left hand edge where it walked around mostly feeding or being obscured by either a Canada Goose or Greylag just in front of it before it walked back to the edge of the pool drank water extending its long neck up and back before swimming back to the island where it promptly sat down and fell asleep. With such good light today I was confident of reasonable shots despite the mid distance and I wasn't disappointed. Barry (& his wife) had quickly followed me back and we both got some nice pics. Walking back eventually at 2.40pm I had a magical 10 minutes as I saw an absolutely fantastic ringtail (female) Hen Harrier fly left over the reeds over the river and then disappeared out of view to the south over Blythburgh estuary. She showed the smaller most compact shape, clear white rump and banded tail, barred on the underwings too , a real treat I enjoyed her through the bins for all of 30 seconds sadly too short for some pics. My first Hen Harrier for just over 4 years (last one seen Feb 2017). Walking back to the viewing platform, at 2.50pm I saw a very fine male White Wagtail flying around the cut reeds just in front of the platform, it settled briefly before the first of 2 Marsh Harriers (1 an orange tagged male, the other a dark untagged female) flew over and spooked it and it flew east. Hopefully back to the hide pool. It was also nice too see Alison and Chris A (first time since the Runham Yellowlegs), telling them the good news they rushed on for the Goose. I walked back to the car park, on the way I heard a Brambling, Siskin and Sand Martin plus bursts of Cetti's Warbler song (but none of these species were seen). I rang Paul & Jane F, they were just a minute away and I had a very welcome but all too short chat with them as they were obviously keen to see the Goose. I'm sure we'll bump into each other again soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Was great to see you Peter, a d, also the Taiga bean goose, hopefully will not be, so long till the next time.
Great pictures👍

Peter Ransome said...

Good to see you too Barry, been a long time, I think last time I saw you was when I had a successful day with the Hawfinches at Sotterley and that was a long time ago! Not seen them there since! You have some great pics of the Taiga Bean too, hopefully won't be too long before I see you again in the field.