Tuesday 5 May 2020

Fisher Row bound and Gunton Orchids, Thrushes and Lesser Whitethroats

On Monday 4th May, later on around 5.30pm, I cycled to Fisher Row, no sign of the Moorhen by the reed patch adjacent to the road but 4 Stock Dove again the fields just north east of St. Michael's Church showing well. By the area at the bottom of the entrance hill, Blackcap heard and walking around, 3 Willow Warblers heard, a Reed Warbler heard and looking over the marsh by the lookout platform, a delightful pair of Sand Martin flew past as did a Swift beautifully back lit by the evening sun. On Tuesday 5th May, at last I was feeling 100% again after my recent illness (save for the niggling tooth!), around 6pm, I cycled to Gunton Orchid meadow and was delighted to count 42 Green- winged orchids all in the same area, typically small stunted plants barely and inch- 2 inches tall, around 4 were higher c4 inches and I was able to get some pics of a fine plant (see header pic and attached) in the meadow just east of there managed by Pleasurewood Hills I was glad to see the grass had been left to grown just west of the tree copse thicket and a further 7 Green- winged Orchids seen, totalling 49. back at Gunton Orchid Meadow, there were several, 2 confiding Song thrushes and another 5 singing totalled a great tally of 7 Song Thrush locally, a Green Woodpecker was yaffling from the big tree on the border with Gunton Hall grounds and Chiff- Chaff singing too. Looking at the Gunton loop next to the Tesco Petrol station, I walked anti- clockwise around the loop prioritising the sunlit areas and by one thicket I was delighted to see a pair of Lesser Whitethroats, my first of the year. One flew right across the path and darted into cover, whilst another was in sub song deep into the bush just left of me, it eventually showed albeit heavily obscured before delivering its very recognisable scolding chatter.

No comments: