Friday 20 December 2019

Great Northern & Waxwing

On Thursday 19th December, on a cloudy morning, I drove to Covehithe, only 1 car there, a Jay flew to the cottage and walked down to the Braod seeing Peter N, who passed on the welcome news that the GN was still there. Walking down around 20 Linnet flew inland and I also passed Cliff W and friend who were walking down to. I had time to enter the hide and immediately pick out the Great Northern Diver, an immature bird with scaling on its back, also near it behind it were 3 Goldeneye, a smart adult male, sub-adult male and a female. A female Marsh harrier quartered the reeds at the back. Later I walked up to the fence just before the Broad edge and got a few record pics of the Diver which had swum a little closer. I then tried to drive to Southward but the Wrentham to Southward road was flooded with a foot and a half of water at Potter's Bridge so I abandoned the drive to Southward for the Ibis and instead drove to Minsmere to purchase a copy of the new Suffolk Bird report for 2018, I had been successful in getting 3 pictures published Mandarin, Penduline Tit and Bittern. It is getting increasingly difficult to get pictures in with quite a few new people moved into the area and submitting (admittedly excellent pics). I drove back to Lowestoft and decided to call in at Rectory road, Carlton Collie where I didn't see the bird initial;ly as the bin men were collecting refuse but as I walked back to the junction with The Street, I spied the Waxwing in the big tree and it flew down to the small Berry tree by the junction and fed on berries here where I left it.

No comments: