Wednesday 11 December 2019

Eastern Stonechat and confiding Black- necked Grebe

Having suffered with bad toothache the previous weekend, I had written off going to see the Eastern or Siberian Stonechat as I had seen one previously in Suffolk in 1993. Having heard that that a potential DNA sample had been obtained, I looked in Steve Piotrowski's excellent "Birds of Suffolk expecting the Lowestoft bird to be have been accepted as a "Maura" but it stated "Stejneger's" or "Maura", so the opportunity to go and see an Eastern Stonechat was very tempting. Having been fully dosed up with anti-biotics, of course I was keen to see a bird I hadn't seen either at all in Suffolk or for 26 years! The trip was on with hastily arranged leave undetaken on Mon 9th December with the best day of the week booked and fingers crossed the bird would stay and it wouldn't be flooded out Monday night (high tides and flood alerts for the south Norfolk and East Suffolk coasts). As the morning dawned I had done my homework and checked the RSPB directions sadly they didn't give a grid ref which I was find helpful, (I am always wary of going to new locations as I usually get lost or can't find the place! See my Tenerife trip report where all the sites for rare bird bar 1 I couldn't find!!!) the directions stated follow the signs for HMP Prison from Woodbridge. I drove to Woodbridge and went around twice around the town and Melton village too, no signs whatsoever! I then had a brainwave and remembered seeing a sign to Hollesley opposite the Sutton Hoo entrance so I drove there followed the sign through Sutton Heath and then found HMP Colony signs that I followed. First problem, there were 2 prisons, Warren Hill YOI which I tried no RSPB reserve signs (despite being directed there by the "workmen") there and then I followed the road to the main prison, it was closed "workmen" were clearing the road of a fallen tree, there were very helpful and let me through as it was only a temporary closure (I think they must have been some of the open prisoners) and I then approached the main prison with some trepidation. But before I thought I would have to speak with one of the warders, there was an RSPB reserve car park sign to the left and I followed the slightly muddy and pitted track, just adjacent to a high fence, but with a door left open. So I parked up (made sure there was nothing tempting on show in the car) and then took the track first to a hide on the left where an impressive array of wildfowl seen, including around 60 really close Wigeon that soon walked off. I knew I had to head for the river bank so I took the main path and saw a birder scoping same said marsh. he said I needed to walk right along the reversal path some 500 yards where 3 birders were looking intently at the bird. As I reached within 100 yards they all broke up and one walked towards me it was Ali R and he said the bird had just disappeared. I joined the other 2 birders one of which was John R. I spent the next 20 minutes looking for the bird in vain until John R who had walked further right came back and said the bird was by the fared of the field perched on a bent yellow marker, sure enough I saw the excellent and stunning Siberian Stonechat, strikingly very pale below and as it came closer I noted a faint peachy breast colour and rump. Also at this closer viewpoint, we could see a subtle combination of brownish black above with white fringed black tortillas and a deeper peach on its rump.It would fly very minute or so onto a grass stem then perched in the hedge at the back and then back on the bent yellow marker and then it flew closer half way back and then closer still. As I got my camera out the bird promptly disappeared not to beset again by me on this visit. A Redshank flew over the field and over to the river behind us. 2 Curlew and then 1 Curlew flew south over the field. I noticed a problem with the scope the tripod bush strap had broken meaning the scope could not be secured to the tripod. having received excellent directions from John, I walked back the car was fine and hadn't been broken into. Driving to felixstowe Ferry, which was a little difficult to find as the main sign had been taken down and I tried "Golf road", "Links road" to no avail and I even found another Golf club but not the right one. Following the OS map, I soon got back on the right route and I parked at a very sunny the clifftop pay and display car park at Felixstowe Ferry (just before the Felixstowe ferry Golf club), a very fine and confiding male Pied Wagtail fed just by the side of the car and then posed on a fence rail so I took a few pics of this obliging individual and then walked down to the beach and a 100 yards left or north to 2 shore pools by the beach just abutting a concrete promenade walkway. The southern pool was only a quarter size of the one remaining Benacre Pit and I quickly spotted the excellent Black- necked Grebe. A textbook winter plumaged individual withe bright red eye and dainty upturned bill. It was diving frequently which meant I was able to get into position (when it was underwater) and I managed to get some nice shots albeit in the fading light as the bright sun was enveloped by a very unwelcome cloud. The bird dived and caught a small fish which it promptly devoured. By 3.30pm I decided to leave (sadly no time for the RLB at Bawdsey picnic site) and go to Viking Optical to get my telescope sent off and repaired, the service and expertise there was as always excellent and I was told the scope would have to be sent to the Leica factory in Portugal it would close down for Christmas but I would get it back repaired and fully serviced/ cleaned early in January, perfect! Now time to dig out the old drawtube Optolyth 30X75GA scope, but still optically excellent! (Pics of the Grebe to be posted when I free up space on my computer).

No comments: