Saturday 21 December 2019

An incredible flock of Waxwings at Rectory road

On Saturday 21st December, a look around Lowestoft initially failed to reveal anything Lake Lothing at the Bridge was quiet and there was a fine pair of Pintail seen on Leathes Ham, but a look out at Rectory road for any Waxwings failed to reveal any. Just as I was about to leave 4 Waxwings flew east then 10 minutes later, a large flock of "trilling" Waxwings flew over my head, their buff plumage and shimmering wings distinctive as they flew directly overhead, a real evocative Christmas experience! Try as I might I failed to locate them settles anyway but a t road further west, I saw the flock again and counted exactly 31 Waxwings as they flew east towards Rectory road again. Heading back, I again failed to locate them. I then looked at Corton, on Corton Playing field I saw 5 Mediterranean Gulls (4 adults and 1 1st winter) plus 37 Common Gulls eventually counted (36 adults and 1st winter). Colton woods was very quiet with just 2-3 Redwings heard calling. At Links road car park, amongst a few Black- headed Gulls, 1 2nd winter Mediterranean Gull (unsigned) seen.

No comments: