Sunday 20 January 2019

New Year's Day birding

On January 1st, a new start to a new year, not sure entirely where to view the roosting Cattle Egrets so as I was there at first light I stayed at the main car park and didn't see a lot! Met Danny P further down the main track and we saw a hunting Barn Owl, but that was it. Next stop was The Drive at redone, where a Mistle Thrush perched in a tree caught my attention initially I managed a couple of pics, I saw the 2 fine Waxwing in trees opposite and a crouching danny getting ready to get his dig- shots, a bonus was 5 Redwing that flew in and showed reasonably well too. Enjoyed a phenomenal lunch courtesy of Danny P as the Walberswick tea rooms and then at Leiston Leisure centre followed Danny as I was again not sure where that was exactly although I could have found it easily as it was very well signed from Leiston (not always the case in Suffolk or Norfolk!), I wonder if the signs were done by Carlsberg??! 9(2imm) Bewick's Swan stood in the middle of a ploughed flied just south of the Leisure centre and the ominous construction of a yet another housing plot. At RSPB North Warren the 2 Spoonbill showed well viewed from the second new Northerly hide, Craig S joined us and we also saw 9 White- fronted Geese seen at North Warren, where we also added several Pintail and Black- tailed Godwit as well as Wigeon, Teal to the day's tally. No sign of anything at Ness Point late on. Thanks to Danny, Emma L & Gary L for their company today, too- but dipped Cattle Egrets, Shag & Purple Sand early & late at Lowestoft.

No comments: