Thursday 24 January 2019

Iceland Gull at Sizewell & Shag in Hamilton Dock

On Sunday January 20th, I travelled down to Sizewell, Paul & Jane F drew up beside me and we walked down seeing our good friends, the Beccles contingent Carl, Dick & Ali they said it was still there. A 1st winter Iceland Gull was seen flying, by some but I missed it, but Justin L saw it perched on the dome of Sizewell B, where it disappear ed over the top. I decided to walk several hundred yards north and in amongst a group of around 40 Gulls, I could see a good candidate, it was slightly smaller than the Herring Gull with black bill, pinks legs and biscuit plumage. It was only when it stretched it wings showing pure white primaries I could confirm the sighting as a 1st winter Iceland Gull, I then rang Jane F & subsequently the crowd came down and saw the bird. It stood on the dome of Sizewell B at 2.15pm, we were then finally able to show a newly arrived David W the bird. Leaving I had to a fruitless trip to carlton Marshes birdies but bumping into Rob & Erin Will they gave me some info. No sign of any Shags at Riverside. Sure enough on arrival I saw a 1st winter Shag Hamilton dock on the sandy spit on the southern side at 4pm, (thanks to Rob Wil for the tip off seen there yesterday too).

No comments: