Tuesday, 25 August 2026

Nice show of migrants

On Tuesday 25th August, at 11.30am by the James Paget Hospital grounds, as I was walking up to the Endoscopy Admin staff Portacabin, a colleague pointed out a very low flying Hummingbird Hawk Moth flying just inches above the grass it meandered around a little then flew north. Tuesday evening directly after work no sign of anu migrants around Corton Sewage works old or new, nor the Churchyard either but a Wheatear was seen flying down the path ahead of me, as I traversed the cliff top path from Corton Old Sewage works to the northern edge of Corton Village. I saw Rob H. and he said the Redstart had been seen at Gunton Warren, just 100 metres north of the chicane. I drove over there, parked up and walked along the middle path, where I saw Jon B. who said he had just had the Redstart dive into the bracken a minute ago. After 10 minutes, I walked to the clear area just metres away and the fine Redstart flew up and flew into the sycamore just nearby. A further look along Gunton Warren failed to reveal any further migrants, so I drove to the Net Posts and again joined Rob H. where we enjoyed good views of first one and then 2 Wheatear in the area between the Net Posts and the seawall. The first Wheatear was relentlessly pursued by a Kestrel in flight, the Falcon was intent on capturing it as prey the Wheatear looped around and eventually evaded the Kestrel. Both were reasonably obliging especially a second bird until a Toddler drove down the track deliberately and spooked it, which was very annoying. Rob siad he though he hada Whinchat on the seewall briefly and we both inverstigated the weedy area just east of the Net Posts and sure enough a fine Whinchat was perched on the edge of weeds near the path. Rob pointed out a line of 4 immature Kittiwakes who were flying north directly over the sea. A 20 minute seawatch revealed nothing save for a lone Dakota aircraft flying south low over the sea.

No comments: