Tuesday, 25 August 2026

Eventually a nice selection of waders

On the evening of the 17th August I walked down the Share Marsh track of Carlton Marshes, all I saw was a nice Hobby flying south low over the track and the only wader on the old Scrape that I could see was a Lapwing! On 18th August, I revisited Carlton Marshes in the evening, this time walking down the main track and this time from the central bund bench, I finally saw the waders, the 2 much sought after Wood Sandpipers (my first for 3 years!) were busy feeding , plus a buffy Ruff, 1 Green Sandpiper stood at the back of the pool, plus 4 Avocets. They then suddenly took to flight and all waders appeared to fly west but minutes later they were back. Andrew E. joined and he pointed out a fine juvenile Spotted Redshank that had just joined them, very brown plumage underneath but on closer inspection the very fine barring noted on its chest plus the distinctive head and eye stripe, nice to see in this plumage not usually encountered. meanwhile the resident Barn Owl was busy bringing a Vole in and next I looked there were 3 magnificent Barn Owls hunting in the field just east of the old Scrape. A Hare was also seen behind the Pool. As I walked back a Barn Owl flew in fro the north screeching by some bushes but I carried on walking to avoid any disturbance. On Thursday evening 21st August, around the North beach and Link's Road car park. 44 Sandwich terns either seen on the groynes or flying around for me they were all too distant to photo and no Little Gull could be seen either.

No comments: