Saturday 7 September 2024

At last a day full of migrants!

On Saturday 7th September, I parked near Gunton Church and walked around the Gunton Burial site again seeing very little. But saw James W. heard a strange "quip" call eminating from the bushes Icky or Radde's possibly??? But we couldn't locate the bird. I then turned my attention to Dip Farm. I walked along the northern perimeter fence line and bushes which is often productive, as I turned to take the eastern most path north around 100 metres north to my left I could see an immature Spotted Flycatcher on a bare tree, it flew back and then I skirted back to Dip Farm where I saw 2 Spotted Flycatchers perched up together, an adult and the immature. The adult soon flew a little way west but retracing my steps in a small open area by the bushes, the immature posed reasonably well for photos. When the sun came out I heard the unmistakable sound of a Great Green Bush Cricket but I couldn't see it. I walked down to the Pleasurewood Hills southern perimeter fence and saw first Neville L. and Tony B., I then joined Chris M and later Peter N. Amazingly we saw a pale faded Painted Lady fly west about 2 metres above the ground. I finally saw a Redstart flying into the bush on 3 occasions showing its reddish tail. Chris M had seen a Garden Warbler, and I briefly saw the bird on blackberries before lumbered back into the hedge. Peter N. has seen a Lesser Whitethroat and I had a good brief flight view of this bird, too. I then checked a meadow just west of Corton woods and saw around 35 Red Admirals, 5 Large Whites, 2 Commas and a Holly Blue. There was also a pristine Painted Lady constantly feeding on the yellow flowers. Walking back to the car parked along Gunton Church Lane, James W told me about a Redstart he had seen on the approach road back to the car park and following that road, I saw first a Wheatear fly out and then the Redstart, thanks James! I had to go back home to retrieve my 180mm macro lens and I managed to get a few pics of this butterfly although it was constantly feeding and not resting up at all. Once when it briefly disappeared, I latched onto what I thought was the same individual but looking at th pics its lower wing was slightly tatty at the edges. When I saw the pristine indiidual again, it proved there were 2 Painted Lady butterflies here. I then went home, had a drink and was abouit to relax when news broke James W. had seen a Wryneck, I immediately drove back and parked up along Gunton Warren just behind Rene by the roadside, who was intently watching a tree. Jon B and Phil D. joined us but the bird hadn't shown subsequently since James's initial sighting. I looked around Gunton Warren checking the original area where the Wryneck had been sighted a heather clearing, where a Redstart flew up and away! and the beach area and saw 3 Wheatears, 2 of which flew up to the cliff top. I then saw Paul & Jane F. who were going to see if they could relocate the Wryneck. I went home to get a squash drink and refreshments and no sooner had I arrived of course, when I recived a Whats app message stating they had just seen it. So back I go and parking again by the side of the road, I walk through to join them, with Andrew E. and Rob Wil. arriving on his bike, we were discussing when they had last seen it when Andrew announced there it sitting in the right hand V branch of that bare tree over there. I was soon on this excellent Wryneck and obtained a few pictures before it flew to the next branch and gradually hopped up the branch, within 10 minutes it flew left and behind over the tree presumably to disappear into the thick of it. Alison and Chris A. then arrived and they said they had seen a showy Redstart at Corton Churchyard so I drove there and immediately saw Rob H. who had the same idea. The Redstart was soon seen at the back before flying closer and onto gravestones where I obtained a few mid distance shots. We then walked around Corton OSW but as we walked backjust going along the northern edge we heard what initially we though was a Pied Wagtail call and a bird, which was clearly a large Pipit was flying south it called a shrill "tshree" a number of times 4X and we soon tentatively identified it as a Tawny Pipit but it flew directly south and out of sight! We put the news out on the local group Whats app just in case anyone could get on to it, further south. We then walked around Corton New Sewage works around the southern section by the bushes bordering the southside of the road, we saw an incredible 9 Whinchats.

No comments: