Friday 28 July 2023

Butterflies at East Bergholt

Travelling down to East Bergolt, after hearing of 10-20 Queen of Spain Fritillaries, in a wildflower meadow. I drove down only trouble was each road to the site hadf signs saying road closed! East Bergholt Lane was closed so I drove back along the A12 then exited there and again the road to East End Lane was closed, I carried on saw a public footpath sign and walked round there, didn't look quite right so I looked back at the message and the pin on the map suddenly gave me directions to the site less than a mile away. I carried on around to a road where the houses finished and parking opposite 2 Ivy Cottages. I walked out past a Children's Playground through a field and then into a dip by a line of trees then suddenly there were people a young lady from Norfolk and another older chap. I was in the right area and the butterflies had been seen! Suddenly a Fritillary flew and settled on the ground just a few feet from the path through the field. This was a fairly dull indvidual with a "bite" out of its lower left forewing. This was repeated and up to 10 Queen of Spain Fritillaries seen flying around, sometimes 2 seen together. They would fly a little way and then settle. It was difficult to see the white bubbl under forewing but I did see this feature several times. The right side of the field a pale and very tatty Clouded Yellow flew and settled and I maaged a few pics. Alkso I saw on the left side of the field I spotted a second brighter Clouded Yellow.

No comments: