Wednesday 15 February 2023

Ludham Bridge birds

On Wednesday 15th February, I had the afternoon off work and under some fantastic directions from John H I parked just before Ludham bridge and taking the footpath immediately opposite (ie. over the road from the toilet block) I took the footpath skirting around a field and then I walked up to the riverbank and then walked left for some 15 minutes, looking back over the fields, in the second I could see some 27 Bewick's Swans but I had to walk a little further and then look near a large gate and dyke in a field looking back over towards the entrance track to the car park to St Benet's Abbey. In a distant field I could see a line of c30 Greylag Geese behind a fringe lined reeds. Behind then I counted a fine total of 12 Taiga Bean Geese. They spent most of their time feeding in a line behind the reeds first walking left then walking forwards and joining the Greylags before settling down and then 2 or 3 stood up and started feeding before sitting down again! Their more angular longer bill, orange at the base of the bill, longer necks and larger size readily differentiated them from than Tundras. Looking back at the wild Swans, the Bewick's Swans 27 in total including 3 immatures and at the back of the field, 3 fine adult Whooper Swans and 9 Mute Swans. I walked back and looked at the Swans for a while but the light was going so I made my way back to the car.

No comments: