Saturday 24 July 2021

Minsmere evening trip for the White-rumped

On Thursday July 22nd, after work I immediately left for Minsmere and arrived at around 6.10pm and walked staright to the South hide and the watery area in front of it, which now called the North Girder. There were lots of birds to be seen, at least 71 Little Terns, amongst Common and Sandwich Terns plus many Black- tailed Godwits and a big group of 100+ Dunlin,in which were fairly distant but feeding in front of a muddy spit with a post on the right hand end. I scanned through the flock several times and although I spotted 4 summer plumaged Knot and a summer plumaged sanderling I couldn't initially see the White-rumped. But another scan I soon picked on the slightly smaller White-rumped Sandpiper which kept fairly close to the Sanderling not far from the post on the muddy spit. Helpfully, the White-rumped started preening showing its white- rump and started feefing again, being grey-brown flecked above and whiter below than the Dunlins. When the flock flew, I couldn't pick out the White- rumped Sandpiper, but when they settled again, I soon picked out its slightly smaller size more attenuated shape and especially attenuated rear end tapering to a thin point. It again was feeding busily and still near the Sanderling. I aslo spotted a transitional plumaged Spotted Redshank already moulting into winter- plumage and heard a Whimbrel but didn't see it. On Friday, July 23rd, this Moth was seen in the lounge in the evening.

No comments: