Sunday 9 May 2021

A 3X look around Ness Point , North Beach & North Denes today

This Sunday 9 May morning I looked around Ness Point no sign of the Whinchat but a calling Yellow Wagtail flew low over due south, no sign of any Wheatears at the Netposts, and again no sign of any Purple Sands at either Ness Point or along the North Beach. From the seawall I could seea birding copule scoping something in the SW corner of the Denes but I couldn't hobble over quickly to ask them what it was. I looked couldn't see anything (I only had my bins & a tweet at 11.45am probably proved it was a Whinchat which I didn't see) around 9 Whitethroats seen around the Denes and c30 Swallows flying south as did 2 House Martin flying south over the disputed fenced off area opposite the wreck of the Oval. I went back early afternoon and failed to relocate the Whinchat. Around 2pm in the garden, I spotted the larvae of a Brown- tail Moth on the supporting post for the Apple tree. However after a tweet from James W, I saw the fine 2 summer plumaged Purple Sandpipers with Turnstones mainly out of sight on the shelf immediately below the current sea wall but the 8 Turnstones (1 in fine summer pliumage) ventured onto the rocks and were briefly joined by the 2 fine summer plumaged Purple Sandpipers. One walked along the top of a rock towards me before flying further out where it ruffled its feathers and then joined Turnstone to fly south to Ness Point and beyond but not relocated there.

No comments: