Monday 15 February 2021

"Brats or Scram!": Too many people!

Keeping up the Laurel and Hardy analogy, I had an A/L day on Monday 15th february, to use up today as we won't allowed to carry over 5 days into the next leave year, surprisingly. So I ambled around on my exercise walk at Oulton Broad this morning, best was a Kingfisher that alighted on the cruise boat in front of the cream & red liveried one that had seen better days, the Kingfisher stayed several minutes but alas no camera. From the Yacht club, a Great- crested Grebe was seen. Going back for lunch as soon as the sun came out just after 2pm, I went down to Ness Point park to photograph the waders. Sadly children were playing by the waters edge by the path and the pool appeared deserted but on close inspection all the waders, well, the Bar- tailed Godwit, joined by a Knot, 7 Dunlin and 10 Redshank were down along the far southern end. Eventually they flew out onto the pool again and I obtained a few pictures. Next stop, Hamilton Dock, nothing there and at Ness Point it appeared birdless as well, except for an Oystercatcher that was on the "finger" so I retrieved the camera and the Oystercatcher fed on whelks and Oysters chiselling them off the ground and eating the juicy morsel inside. A huge wave had it running almost down to the beginning of the finger where I was and showed really well (at times too close for the camera) before walking back. I decided to return to the Ness Point park and as I got out I was dismayed to see a photographer (standard lens) walking around the edge of the pool flushing everything in sight. I suddenly saw a magnificent pair of Pintail, resplendent in the sun, fly around and settle on the pool. No sooner had they done so that the photographer marched off towards them and seconds later they flew off. She also flushed the Bar- tailed Godwit which flew to the north end of the pool but another "adult" walked into the pool wading about in the middle and flushed the Godwit to the southern section of the Pool again. The Knot was still there feeding by the fence but I had had enough of the crass and sheer stupidity of the people so I left (hence the title of this post).

No comments: