Saturday 13 February 2021

"Below Zero": a fine afternoon at Fisher Row

On Friday 19th February is the terrestrial television Freeview of the film on BBC1, "Stan & Ollie" which is an excellent film (I thoroughly recommend watching it, if you hacven't ssen it you in for a real treat!) telling the story of the archetypal and original and in my opinion, the finest comedy double act; Laurel and Hardy. In one of the best films I've seen in recent years with stunning stand out performances from both Steve Coogan and John O'Reilly in the title roles. So in tribute to them and the film I am naming each blog post in the immediate future after either one of Laurel and Hardy's films or shorts starting with "Below Zero"! Having been kindly told by Rob H, of obliging Water Rails at Fisher Row, On Saturday 13th February, I headed down at 3pm and along one of the few dykes with free flowing water along the western edge of the path, 1 showy Water Rail was seen and amazingly another 3 so 4 Water Rails in all. Particularly pleased to see them as I haven't seen Water Rail for several years. The Water Rail was usually in the darker or more obscured sections of the dyke and together with the back up camera/100-400mm lens malfunctioning, I'll need to pop down again tomorrow with my 7DMk2 and my trusty 500mm lens. 2 Barn Owls were hunting in the field just north west of the dyke where the Rails were. Walking on just over the railway line I looked in a good wooded area for Woodcock (determined to get in on the Woodcock action in the Beast from the East 2)and saw 4 Woodcocks fly out. In addition walking to the bowl I saw another Woodcock fly out. Walking past the rea gardens I heared another Water Rail so 5 Water Rails in all. Walking along the path along the river, a Wren flew from reed to reed and I spied a group of 6 Greylag Geese and 30 Greylag Geese flew in from across the river. Finally, another Wren seen by the small alder wood.

No comments: