Sunday 25 October 2020

Hawfinch at Tar Works road allotments

On Friday at work, I received a tweet from Tommy C, a great field birder, who had found a Hawfinch in Great Yarmouth. On Saturday 24th March, early morning, following the excellent directions from both Tommy & John H. I parked neat the Lobec Fabrications Ltd building (sitated over the river) and located a lone Hawthorn intially I couldn't see the bird looking at the southern side of the bush by walking north a couple of metres, I then spotted the excellent Hawfinch, perched on the left hand side of the bush busily feeding. It looked like a young male to me, being a more 'faded'version of an adult male. A large finch with enormous bill, it spent the duration feeding on berries in the bush flying down at one stage before quickly flying up to its favoured spot. Sadly too far away to photograph and looking into the early morning sun meant photography wasn't an option. My third in the Great Yarmouth area, having seen one in Great Yarmouth Cemetary, one at Ormesby St Michael found by Peter C. Also seen a couple of times was a calling Grey Wagtail flying over the river several times. Around 3 Redwings seen flying south too. I then went to Corton and apart from the usual 4 Blackbirds and a Sparrowhawk flying over it was quiet in Corton Churchyard.

No comments: