Saturday 17 October 2020

Big day in Norfolk

On Saturday 17th October, I was keen to get some pictures of the Red- flanked Bluetail at Waxham, so I parked very early at first light by Shangri-La and walked the mile south following the footpath, one of the infamous the East Norfolk suppressors was hurriedly rushing back (I wondered if he as off to twitch a mega rarity but he didn't say anything to me) and past the RB Shrike area (I could have parked opp. Brograve Farm and walked down Penny Lane), around 24 Redpolls flew north west calling as they flew over, over the Dunes then inland to the area formerly known as the pipe dump, around 150 Pink- footed Geese seen in the field. The grass was flooded and we (5 other birders photographers present) looked back into the bushes and it wasn't long before the excellent Red- flanked Bluetail was seen flitting around in the trees and then it preceded to hunt for food from the fence giving good views albeit in poor light. It would occasionally disappear and iour attention shifted to the up to 5 Goldcrests flying down to the ground feeding on insects from the ground giving really confiding views. The Red- flanked Bluetail was then perched on the fence further north and as the photographers moved the bird moved further along. Having heard the amazing news that a Rufous Bush Chat had been seen at 7.28am at Stiffkey Campsite path by the salt marshes, I was in a dilemma of what to do. I decided to check out the Church and a chap was there, the magnificent well marked male Black Redstart was seen on the Church tower then the church roof and when he left, he flew down to the gravestones to feed. It was joined by a female Black Redstart by the tower. When 3 very loud talking toggers with 400mm lens turned up very noisily both birds flew up to the top of the tower, I decided to leave and as I approached the car 50 yards east of the church a female Black Redstart was seen on the fence opposite. I then drove up to North Norfolk and approaching Stiffkey I was unsure where to park or where to go but luckily Lee Evans was standing by the second road heading seawards at Stiffkey and I asked him where to park, he indicated 300 yards further along on the A149 on the left, another birder said some cars had left and I found a spot to park completely off the road but it was a tight fit, luckily birder directed me in and I walked back and down the road to the campsite, cars parked all along the side all sensibly and walked out onto a very and very muddy saltmarsh, luckily Carl B. had tweeted to take Wellingtons which I had on and I very nervously joined (with a mask on) a crowd of some 300 strong, 200 the seaward end and a 100 along another creek. I saw Gerald J. and Matthew D. and they directed to to be big clump or island of Sueda and bushes amongst the saltmarsh. After 20 minutes still no sign but excitement from left of where we were were I walked over and saw Jeremy G who had the bird in a dark hole on the ground along the right side of the island from where he was looking at, I got onto the bird straight away, a magnificent Rufous Bush Chat, one of my most wanted European birds having missed them in Lesvos (too early and Rhodes (too late) and also in other parts of Europe. It was initially stood on the ground facing left the dark eye- stripe and crown seen and longish bill, it appeared to be a pale creamish colour but when it moved round it showed its long rufous raggedy tail which was held low then characteristically cocked (RB Fly like) the whole bird could be seen facing right then it moved right and only the back and tail could be seen, before it moved around again and the head bill and mantle could be seen, after about 4 minutes it flew up showing a riot of rufous colouring specifically its long tail and it perched out on the open in vegtation if full view for an all too short 10 seconds before it flew over and left over the bushes and out of sight. An amazing sighting all seen through the scope, a little too far away for the camera. On the walk back I was joined by Richard from Bungay who had memorably found the calling Corncrake one summer and Jeremy G joined us. We met Matthew S and we walked the mile or so back past Stiffkey campside woods and to the far end just around the corner. In the wood hear, I immediately got onto the fine Pallas's Warbler that was immidiately above me, it helpfully called around 10X during the period of observation making easier to pick again away from the foraging 5 or so Golcrests also feeding in the wood. When I moved out to the field edge looking into the wood, it helpfully stopped and preened on a branch enabling some oictures to be taken. Walking back really good to see Justin L out and about, I told him so and then I bade my farewell to Matthew S and drove back to Waxham but the very sunny weather I had encountered back at Sheringham and all the way to North Walsham and Stalham led to incresing cloud and poorer light as I travelled through Sea Palling then Waxham so a return trip to the RFB was ruled out and I headed to Corton Churchyard where I saw Tim B. we had a female Sparrowhawk fly past and west. Around 3 Blackbirds were in the hedge and I thought heard some brief Ouzel like chacking, Tim left and by 5.15pm, a 4th Thrush was in the bush feeding albeit heavily obscured it a pale buffish crescent on its chest it was the fine female Ring Ouzel although always buried deep in the bush. Driving back along Station road by the playing field I heard a Grey Wagtail which appeared to be travelling south and last memorable encounter was an old American Police car (straight out of the "Dukes of Hazzard!") driving east half way down Corton Long Lane then turning down a rough track/ lane heading north!) FIRST PIC BY KIND COURTESY OF JOHN H (too far away when I saw it!)

No comments: