Wednesday 11 March 2020

(Nearly) always reliable Wangford Waxwings

On Wednesday 11th March, I drove down to Wangford in the hope of seeing Waxwings. My journey was eventful as I drove south along the A12 along the Benacre strait, a Woodcock joined me flying south at 2.55pm alongside the road and then the field to the west, lovely to see and my first of the year. Parking up opposite the playing field I walked to the north- west corner and instantly saw the 4 fine Waxwings sitting in the tops of trees partly obscured by branches. They spent a lot of time sitting here. They were joined by 3 Goldfinch at times. waxwings can be difficult birds to twitch, but my success rate with them art sangfroid is quite high so I was keen to give it a go. During the hour of observation 3-4pm, they only made 3 trips over to the berry bush opposite the Vetenary surgery, where they disappeared from view. Nice to see but not very photogenic. They were trilling quite frequently and as usual with this species the trilling became more frantic and louder before a trip over the road to the berry bush. Driving back 2 Hares were in the usual field. POSTSCRIPT: Having checked my photos one of the birds,a 1st winter male, has white/blue/red rings this is one that was ringed at Aberdeen in Scotland on 1st December 2019, thanks to Brian S for this information.

No comments: