Wednesday 4 December 2019

Eagle Owl spectacular part 2

On Wednesday 4th December, I couldn't resist another look at the magnificent Eagle Owl at Winterton. I particularly wanted to try for some pics of this bird, as I hadn't taken my camera last time regrettably, a real "bubo, bubo!" As I walked up Bulmers Lane from the Church at Black street, around 20 yards south of 10 Bulmers Lane, opposite The Cobbleways, we could see the magnificent Eagle Owl perched half way up, this time in a deciduous tree (devoid of its leaves) as the 2 birders walked off. I heard some very familiar "trilling" and a lovely Waxwing, with raised crest perched in a lone tall tree just beyond an open cul-de-sac entrance, seen from 3.15pm for all of 2 minutes, I shouted to the 2 birders to come back. They were 2 slow as the Waxwing then flew low north (behind the Bulmers Lane houses) and was lost as around 7 Starling decided to fly at the same time. The Waxwing was heading in a northerly direction towards the Church. Always nice to find a waxwing & my first self find of this species this winter. As I walked following Somerton road around, I could see Peter C and Diane parked up at the playing field car park and we walked around and then took the road going south from Somerton road up to the Council houses opposite a nice woodland copse area. I instantly spied the magnificent Eagle Owl perched up in the same tree, this time in a bough left of the main trunk around half way up. I put Peter C & Diane onto it. Joined a couple of birders at the top of the road, they suggested I could get closer views and pics by going through the gap in the hedge and walking east along the field edge I joined 2 birders who were within 50 yards of the bird. I managed to get some magnificent views of the bird and close pics of the bird despite the fading light and ISO 6400 ( I also had to lighten the pic by 3/4 exposure too). It was quite unperturbed by us. It was ever vigilant as the head turned revealing the magnificent orange eyes and even preening its left leg (revealing no rings). It even stretched its wing several times. As we watched the bird we heard a Tawny Owl hooting but try as I might I could not see it. It also stretched its left leg out clearly seeing the whole leg and I couldn't see a ring on it. After I took a few shots. I walked back to join Peter & Diane along the road and then the bird flew and sat out in the open on the low roof of a house, before incredibly we saw it fly towards us and directly over our heads and then south- west and out of sight.

No comments: