Saturday 14 December 2019

Back to Felixstowe Ferry

On Saturday 14th December with the 'promise' of sunny weather initially, I made my way down to Felixstowe Ferry to get hopefully fully lit pics of the confiding Black- necked Grebe. The sun was rising nicely at Lowestoft, but the only problem was clouding over rapidly as I approached Felixstowe, so no such luck! I parked up at the cliff top car park, paid my 2 hour car parking levy and walked down onto the beach where I could Lee W, Tim O and another chap. The fine Black- necked Grebe was still on the pool and showing well, a few rays of sun poked through the cloud but soon it was totally covered by ashy clouds. We were joined by John R and after Lee had walked around we shifted our position onto the beach side and the bird swam even closer to us showing down to a few metres, albeit with grey leaden skies behind us. It then eventually started raining so we beat a hasty retreat to our cars and John R kindly used his star alan key to do up the mount from my lens to the tripod clamp grip which was starting to get a little loose, really grateful for John for this. A trip to Minsmere revealed no 2018 Bird reports as yet (they are on sale at Ipswich Museum but didn't fancy the trip into town on a busy Saturday before Christmas) but the promise of copies coming in next week.

No comments: