Friday 19 July 2019

Pacific Golden Plover in the last hour of light along Breydon South wall fields

On Thursday 18th July, having seen Peter A's tweet at 6.35pm, (another great find from the Breydon birder), of no sign of the PG Plover he had sensationally found early in the morning. I decided to fill up the rather depleted wildlife find. When I got back at 7.40pm, I received a message that the bird had been refined at 6.40pm typical! I leapt in the car and without scope and bins, the old Zeiss Dialyt's were dug out and I decided to just go with that as I knew it was a mile and a half walk down to the Pump house. Arriving at the Herbert Barnes car park, I fortuitously met Matthew D and we walked down together, first dave Holman and then Justin L passed us saying the bird was still there in the field, passing a resting Paul W, we met a group of birders including Andrew E, James W, Dick W and Ali R. The bird, a magnificent slightly moulting adult Pacific Golden Plover was in the field immediately south- east of the wind pump along the east side where the stubble cut met the reeds at the back, initially only its head and shoulders seen but as it continued to run and then stop around 2 metres at a time we saw this slightly smaller slim plover with striking white "S" running down the side of the breast thickest on the curve and a lovely golden/ grey spangly back. At times it was almost totally obscured at other times it was right out in the open and eventually headed for the far corner of the field. My extensive thanks to Andrew E for letting me see some prolonged views through his scope. A Grey Heron fished in the ditch just left of the bird.

No comments: