Wednesday 17 July 2019

Marsh Sandpiper at Minsmere

On Wednesday 10th July, exciting news of a Marsh Sandpiper discovered at Minsmere that afternoon had me heading straight down to Minsmere via a snack stop where I briefly saw Josh C. Walking down to east hide the good news was it was still there. I saw John R and Rob W and Josh C again. John & I entered the hide and we were greeted with the news that the bird had flown and disappeared behind an island. Whilst waiting I saw 3 dusky Spotted Redshanks, 2 Ruff, 2 Green Sandpipers, 2 Little Ringed Plovers, a Sandwich Tern and Little Gull seen flying around the south scrape. Then suddenly, it was spotted the fine Marsh Sandpiper, slightly bigger than a nearby Green Sandpiper, slender like a miniature Greenshank with needle thin straight bill black beady eye and grey upper parts and white underpart, a wonderfully elegant wader constantly walking around and feeding.

No comments: