Saturday 1 June 2019

Consolation Iberian Chiff- Chaff at Minsmere

With the goodies at Minsmere potentially on offer (with Cretzschmar's (first for mainland UK) , Broad- billed Iberian and the 2 Savi's potentially the best in terms of rare birds) I raced back from Buckingham, picked up my scope from home and arrived with the news at 9am that both the Cretzschmar's Bunting seen yesterday hadn't been sen and the Broad- billed Sandpiper had flown off. A double- dip then and not surprising as I now miss more at Minsmere than anywhere else now (it used to be Bretdon but I now tend to see everything at Breydon I go for now). Walking around, there were 15 Sand Martin seen briefly from the fence and on the beach, walking along to Dunwich pool, a Glow Worm larvae was seen on the steps and I could hear the Iberian Chiff- Chaff but it soon fell silent as I arrived. After 20 minutes finally it called again and I was able to get glimpses of the bird and then some good views on 3 occasions when it was seen totally unobscured amongst the Silver birches. It was the fine Iberian Chiff- Chaff. A fine consolation and only my third ever. There was also a ringed ordinary Chiff- Chaff singing in the same copse so ID had to be done with great care except when the bird was singing. The Iberian typically pale, more lemony looking. By the pond, first Smooth Newt seen in the water then on the surface, a chap asked what was this Stick Insect creature, it was of course, a Water Stick Insect! 2 newly emerged Four-spotted Chasers seen and one Four- spotted Chaser at rest by the car park pool too. It was getting hot at Minsmere and over run with people so I left.

No comments: