Sunday 2 December 2018

Sawbills & Eastern Phyllosc

On Sunday 2nd December, starting again at Oulton Broad, I had a fantastic start when disembarking from the car parked on the road, 4 chattering Fieldfares flew low over my head and towards the Nicholas Everett Park. I walked up to the Boat club and despite crouching down I saw 5 female Goosanders swim purposefully away from the jetty, they swam to the back of the Broad. Meanwhile, an additional singleton female Goosander was seen around the reedy edge of the broad just north of Broadlands Marina. She slowly swam closer and closer passing the buoys and swimming past the Yacht club and down the channel towards the Boulevard area of the Broad. She was joined by the other 5 female Goosanders and they swam towards the Wherry. Well pleased with my sightings, checked my phone no news, which was odd I thought. I turned my attentions to the Park to track down the vociferous Ring- necked Parakeet and with the help of a couple saw her perched in the big Pine tree just north of its usual haunts. She then flew towards its favourite tree by the toilet block and spent a little time trying to enlarge the metal protected opening. Realising this was a fruitless activity she gave up and used her beak and feet to give her leverage to climb round to the back of the tree where she briefly appeared in sunlight before flying to the evergreen tree to feed on the berries. She was showing so well, 3 other "dude" photographers got in on the act too. I checked my phone still no news, so saying my goodbyes, I walked back to the Boulevard and I could see 7 Goosanders, the 6 females had been joined by the splendid male. I walked round couldn't see them from the Wherry so I decided to try my luck from the Commodore and walking to the deserted front lawn area overlooking the Broad. I crouched down to view the Goosanders on the other side of the water. To my amazement they started to swim directly towards me led by the ebullient male. Sporting his elegant dark green head crest. It had a lovely dark green velvety sheen and he truly was the emperor of elan, especially being followed by 6 females and their plumage being shown off in the sunshine that had just appeared through a break in the southern clouds. They then swam directly past me swimming north and were too close to get the whole flock in the picture, so I concentrated on the male and was pleased with the dozen or so shots I obtained. On reaching home, I checked "twitter" on the laptop and of course the first thing on there was Rob Win's wonderful find of a Dusky at KSW at around 11am. Obviously I'd been in an internet blacktop but glad noe news had led me to check on the Goosanders again. I cooly had some lunch then drove over to Kessingland and met Jeremy G down the Lane just before the Sewage works northern fence. More people were looking from the north at the fence and I joined them. Their number included Phil H & Dave H & his wife from Norfolk, Carl B and Pauline & Dave (also from Norfolk) Pauline ever vigilant said she had some thing moving in vegetation just above a large bramble bush and I got into it straight away, its Dusky hues and dark stripe and contrasting whitish super cilia confirmed it was the fine Dusky Warbler but as I soon as I latched onto these features it dropped like a stone behind the bush. It repeated these action every 20 minutes or so on at least another 4 occasions. Until neat the end of my visit, having also been joined by Maurice B, I spotted it slightly left of where I had first seen it, back on but again showing its whole body and distinctive head marking when it turned to look at us. Finally ten minutes after that it flitted through at the back in the same area giving reasonably views for a couple of minutes.

No comments: