Sunday 25 November 2018

Quintuple dip day

On Sunday 25th November, I raised new standards (definitely unwanted) in dipping 5 different species in a winter's birding day. In the car park I heard 2 Bullfinches and saw a couple of Curlew but no sign of Hooded Merganser (Blythburgh), there was also no sign of Bewick's Swans (Covehithe Broad), Scaup (Benacre Broad or Cattle Egrets (Carlton Marshes this am. I bumped into Peter N at the car park who hadn't seen the sole remaining individual this morning- my cue to leave!) Walking from Covehithe Broad due north in the field taking the coastal footpath, just north of Smuggler's Lane at Covehithe, 300 Barnacle Geese seen. They were close and they slowly walked back but were not unduly disturbed by my presence. Benacre Broad was better by also no sign of the Scaup although there were females of Red- breasted Merganser (behind the GBB Gulls out to the north- west area of the Broad) & a female Common Scoter (straight out at Benacre Broad plus an ad winter Mediterranean Gull at least I saw something this morning! Also no sign of the Purple Sandpipers at Ness Point in the afternoon. Nothing at Hamilton Dock either. A very poor weekend birding for me.

3 comments:

Vicky a said...

i feel your pain!!!

Vicky a said...

i feel your pain!!!

Peter Ransome said...

Thanks for your empathy Vicky!!