Sunday 7 October 2018

Yellow- browed City

Deciding to look at Corton this morning, Sunday 7th October, it was sunny and struck gold when half way down the ORT by the southern end of the Holm Oaks I heard the distinctive call of a YBW, I spun round and saw a bright bird a wonderful Yellow- browed Warbler, which showed well in the top foliage of the tree twice before flying over the track to the eastern perimeter belt. I rang James B and met him on the west side where we heard another YBW call and saw one showing briefly at the topof a sycamore, this time a pale bird, a second Yellow- browed Warbler. Jame went onto check the pond, whilst I walked back to the bridge and taking the west track heard and saw a Yellow- browed Warbler in a sycamore. As I was watching this bird one called behind me and seen in the trees in the middle of the track, a second Yellow- browed Warbler. I was joined by Derek M and James B and we watched a bird the other side of the road calling frequently. Checking out Corton Churchyard, a Mistle Thrush flew east walking over the the start of the Corton old SW track, I heard the rasping call of a Brambling and saw the bird with white rump fly off and walking back a Green Woodpecker also flew east from Corton churchyard. Mid afternoon, I walked round Gunton woods not hearing/ seeing any YBWs but walking past the woodland burial area the cleared path running parallel with the Gunton ORT, I could see a Fieldfare perched on the track, a walker disturbed it before I could get a photo. Turning my attention to Gunton ORT, 2/3 of the way down, a calling Yellow- browed Warbler (my 4th of 5th bird self found today a personal record for me in one day!) showed itself in an Oak and I walked 100 yards further north saw the calling bird again in a Sycamore tree where I was able to get some record shots. I saw the bird from 4.40-5pm. Walking back a heard the 'pssst' call of Redwing and in the field just north of the woodland burial, in the south- west corner amongst c30 Chaffinches feeding here revealed 4 Bramblings including 2 smart males. At Gunton woods Sallows, a Chiff- Chaff heard, at Gunton Meadow south, I heard another Brambling.

No comments: