Monday 3 September 2018

Weekend birds & social media problems

On Saturday 1st September hearing rather late of a Barred Warbler at Kessingland, (BINS news is now very erratic for me on the new Whats App format, sometimes it's great and I can send out messages too, other times I can't access it at all? I will try and find out how I can improve my access to this? Is it my phone, I still can't tweet out in the field?) I headed there. It took 40 minutes to get through Oulton Broad with both the rail crossing and the Mutford Lock bridge slowing my progress. I joined a small throng of birders overlooking the scrub on the south side of the river hundred. Almost immediately I saw the bird but it instantly flew behind a bush. Ninety minutes later, the fine Barred Warbler was seen on bushes by the distant ridge it was seen in elderflower bushes etc. Also a fine adult male Migrant Hawker and a Southern Hawker seen too. Dipped the Wryneck in field just west of the Hollies caravan park. In the garden Garden, 5 Migrant Hawkers seen too. Sunday garden Speckled Wood, Painted Lady, 5 Migrant Hawkers, In the afternoon- a Cattle Egret was seen over the far side of a field just west of the Scrape, remaining to 1 white faced black cattle. A Hare was running around the path at the western head of Carlton Marshes. Walking back I took the footpath through the field just west of the Scrape and the Cattle were directly had of me as was the excellent summer plumaged Cattle Egret and I got some nice views, took several pics at 100 yards range before double back to avoid disturbing the Egret or the cattle. Along the North Denes at 7pm I arrived just too late as the sun was setting over the North denies, in the large bush a female Whitethroat seen. Around 3 birds may have been Whinchats but they'd gone into roost and I didn't want to disturb them. In the garden, Speckled Wood butterfly, Painted Lady and again 5 Migrant Hawkers seen.

No comments: