Sunday 30 September 2018

Blyth's Reed amazingly gives itself up for me just before going to roost

On Sunday 29th September another fruitless search around the local patch this time at Corton Playing field and Corton OSW nothing wildlife of wise of note save for 8 winter plumaged Starlings singing away from pole at Corton OSW, nice to see Craig S and the Border Collies again though. I was tweeting my Beluga pictures out mid afternoon, when incredibly James B tweeted at 4.10pm, Rob Win had just found a Blyth's Reed Warbler in bracken just north of the Lowestoft Oval on the North Denes. I rushed down parking along North Parade and walking down the Oval steps to the Denes and joined Rob Win, James B, James W, Andrew E, Rob Will, Paul & Jane F, Chris M, Richard S, Rene B and others who later joined included Dick W, John H and Paul W. The bird was proving to be typically elusive mainly moving through the bracken, bramble and betraying its presence only by its distinctive "sic" call and at times bracken was seen moving and sometimes, a "Warbler" shape seen moving through. I had resigned myself to dipping this bird as I have done for most of the goodies seen in Lowestoft this Sept (although I was away in Jersey when the Booted warbler was present), save for the YBW. When at 6.35pm, the bird flew right and standing next to Dick W, who confirmed I was in the right area, I saw through my Zeiss Victory binoculars, which are known for giving outstanding visibility and clarity in poor light, and this time agin it was no exception, and I saw the bird hop onto a bit of bracken where it sat out in full view for me for around 5 to 10 seconds. I noted the following ID features: a pale grey- brown bird on the upperparts (not rusty brown or chestnut). The white super cilia was prominent and clearly noted extending just beyond the eye, pale flanks (not chestnut fringed) and importantly short tertial projection (ruling out normal Reed and Eastern Reed Warbler) The legs appeared dark. Before, the bird hopped out of view and then flew into a large bush, presumably to roost, where it continued to give its distinctive "zic" call. My last Blyth's Reed Warblers was one on Bryher, Scilly and I also saw 1 at West Runton in Norfolk on 27th September 2008. A really jammy observation, as I fully expected to dip or have untickable views, but that view gave me a super new Suffolk tick, a wonderful Blyth's Reed Warbler and yet another stunning find by Rob Win, who a regular patch worker and fully deserves the plaudits of this stunning find, especially as he had spent most of the day trying to ID it, the bird proving typically elusive and Rob seeing it only 7X in total. Thanks to James B for putting the news out as soon as the ID had been clinched.

No comments: